Sunday 1 January 2012

A New Year's Cheers


Uisge Gu Leoir by Elvis McGonagall
A siren sings in the Sound of Eriskay
Toss aside your cabers and barrel to the docks
Drown your sorrows in the Hebridean drink –
There’s a shipful of Scotch on the rocks
Eau de vie, uisge beatha, water of life
Golden tears of the gods swept ashore
Soak up that “liquid sunshine”, bathe in joy
Swim in whisky, whisky, whisky galore
Burns’ John Barleycorn, king o’ malted grain
A drop of island rain and Highland peat
Taste the salty air, breathe in the angel’s share
Sea-spray-smoky-honey-heather-sweet
Amber oil of repartee dancing on the tongue
Whisky kisses burning on the lips
Bottled poetry in crates, ballads growled by Tom Waits
Give me a splash of the sublime, a dram, a nip
Oh let me wade into a river o’ Bruichladdich
Let me dive deep down in Edradour
Wash my sins away in Auchentoshan
Baptize me in a pool o’ Aberlour
Aye – pour another whisky in my whisky
Just a wee deoch-an’-doris, one more bar
And if anyone is listening up in Islay –
Mine’s a ten year old Ardbeg- slainte mhath!
This really does need to be said out loud - specially on New Year's Day.
Thank you Elvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment